Friday, August 8, 2008

Sorry Excuse For A Man

These are lyrics to the song "Me Too" by country star Toby Keith. I just so happened to hear the song on my way home from the gym:

If i send you roses for no reason at all
If,out of the blue,i stop and give you a call
Once in a while,it's breakfast in bed
And then pull the covers back up over our heads
If i call in sick just to stay home with you
I want you to know why i do what i do
It's my way of
sayin' what i can't express
But i want you to know,girl,
i'm doin' my best

(CHORUS)
Oh,
i'm just a man,that's the way i was made
I'm not too good at
sayin' what you need me to say
It's always right there on the tip of my tongue
It might go unsaid,but it won't go undone
So when those three little words come so easy to you
I hope you know what i mean when i say,me too

If you should wake up and catch me
watchin' you sleep
And i break the silence by
kissin' your cheek
If i whisper
somethin'you don't understand
Don't make me repeat it,i don't know if i can

(REPEAT CHORUS)

Me too,me too,hope you know what i mean when i say
Me too,me too


______________________________________

This is ridiculous. While the first stanza of the song is cute/romantic, the chorus and everything else to follow is ABSURD. "Oh, I'm just a man, that's the way I was made, I'm not too good at sayin' what you need me to say." Mr. Keith is using his gender as an excuse for his inability to tell his significant other that he loves her. I know plenty of men who can say "I love you" without having to write a song about their struggle to do so. More over, they DON'T struggle to do so, because that's what you DO when you LOVE someone, Toby- You tell them you love them. I find it disturbing that, Toby, living with this woman, or at least spending the night, (which he alludes to by his "breakfast in bed, and then pull the covers up over our heads" line) can't tell her that he loves her.

"If I whisper somethin' you don't undersand, Don't make me repeat it, I don't know if I can." Loser. Toby Keith is a loser. Any man who relates to this song is a loser. I understand that many people have "I love you" phobias, but really... he doesn't know if he can repeat the sweet thing he just whispered? ... Doesn't that just seem... foolish? The song, meant to be romantic ( I assume )... is dumb. Plain, flat out, dumb. Just a man, blaming his gender for his inability to say the words 'I love you'. 

I understand that Mr. Keith is trying to convey his feelings in a romantic way, through a song he's written, but really, he's only representing himself in an extremely stupid way. 

This angers me. It's really causing me to be flustered. Which is hindering my ability to write coherently. DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY?

No comments: