Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sense of self

Who I am today is made up of every breath I've taken since the day I was born. Every experience, good or bad, has molded and shaped me into the human being I am right in this moment. And in every other passing, I am changing and evolving, just the same. I harbor just as much resentment as anyone else, spinning off from childhood incidents, certain people, certain situations, reactions I had to various things etc. I place blame just as freely as anyone else, and I feel that even though that blame is placed, it is placed in the past. With what strength I have I do my best not to bring that blame with me into the future, but I must say that I am rarely successful. Just like you, I am only human. 

It was never that I wasn't more than grateful, more than appreciative, more than lucky. It was never that what I was given wasn't enough. It was always that what was being taken from me was so much greater than anything I could have received. Something that was taken, a void that was left, a hole that wasn't, couldn't be, still isn't filled. Blame aside, it's my journey, my mission, my purpose to fill that void, learn from my mistakes and those of others and find my peace, my happiness, among the experiences of the past. I must find myself and in doing so, conquer my fears. I must overcome those obstacles that people have laid before me, and through them, learn my beliefs, my character... learn me. To them, I am, in my happiest of moments, and in my clearest thoughts, nothing but grateful for helping me to learn who I am, and more importantly who I don't want to be. 

No comments: