Thursday, August 7, 2008

No news is good news...

I'm working out at LA Fitness today, and to pass the time I watch the TV's they have mounted on the ceiling and struggle to read the fast moving captions (because there isn't any sound). After The View the news comes on. None of the news is good news. Burn victims, injured construction workers, fifteen car pileups, missing children, etc. The most disturbing of stories was a 12-year-old little boy who brought a gun to his Jr. High. When asked why he brought it, he told authorities that a boy at school had been bullying him. Regardless of the bully, guns are not OK (obviously), but it completely broke my heart that this boy felt so much in danger that he thought bringing a gun might fix his situation. Even more unsettling is that he thought to bring a gun in the first place, and EVEN MORE SO... WHERE DID HE GET THAT GUN!?!?

I resolved to staring at the wall and watching the people at the level below me for the remaining 22 minutes of my workout. The news is just too depressing.

No comments: