Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Dark Knight Experience Part 1 (no spoilers)

Heath Ledger does a phenomenal job as The Joker in most recent installment of the Batman series...The Dark Knight. (Man, I really enjoy writing in italics...) 

This is the story of how I came to be able to say the above statement with much confidence. 

Ok, HE and I go to see The Dark Knight on Friday July 18th- the day it came out (stupid idea, dear readers). Previous to this outing I have lurked the Internet and found every scrap of information I could find on Mr. Ledger's performance in this film. I do this partly because I can't stop obsessing about his death, partly because he's extremely attractive, and mostly because I am very excited to see this "Oscar worthy" performance everyone is jabbering about. So in order to prepare for this movie going experience I read up on all the critics' opinions. They're all very positive. I'm stoked. 

HE has requested that I see this movie with him. I had originally planned to see this film at it's midnight showing, when HE told me he had work, I quickly made plans with some friends to see it at the 12am showing. I caved and decided to go with HE, because HE wants to see it with me-and I'm nice like that. I tell HE I'll go with him but I still insist on seeing it on it's opening day (after his work). HE warns me ahead of time that on a Friday night and opening night of The Dark Knight the theater is going to be extremely crowded and I won't like it- did I listen? Nope. Was he right? You bet. 

We get to the ticket counter and I realize I have a $10 gift card and 6 $1 bills- obviously not enough for the arm and a leg total of two $9.50 tickets. I refuse to overdraw my account, as does HE (we're both pretty broke). HE has no cash. Crap. We walk around this mall that appears to be mostly under construction- attempting to find an ATM- no such luck. We walked for a good twenty minutes around the mall and gave up. I convince myself of how badly I want to see Heath Ledger and Christian Bale... and end up using my debit card... justifying this action by thinking about how wonderful the two aforementioned actors are. (I didn't overdraw!! Woo!!) The searching fruitlessly, and use of the debit card leaves me a little agitated. 

To top off my already irritated state the 8:30pm, 9:15pm, 9:30pm, & 9:45pm showings were full (mind you it's 7:20pm)- we were destined to see The Dark Knight at 10pm that evening. I huff and proceed to walk BACK to the car mumbling under my breath about what I am going to do with my  life for the next 2 1/2 hours. HE worsens the situation by saying, "Hey, you were the one who wanted to see it today"... No brownie points for that. This makes me even more angry. I start walking quicker- so he knows he's made me mad. **EDIT: After reading my blog HE says, "you know that i purposely walked slower when you walked faster" ... ahh, what a guy! ;)**

The ticket woman advised that we come an hour early, so I decide we should go an hour and 20 minutes early, because I assume everyone else will show up an hour early, and we'll be 20 minutes ahead of the game! WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. Everyone else showed up hours earlier, which puts HE and I in the back of the line. I am feeling rejected. 


(This is about 1/4 of the line)

We've been waiting in line for almost an hour and I am putting HE through a series of unanswerable questions such as, "How many people do you think are in this line?", "Do you think we will have to sit way up front- because I get headaches sitting up there?", "How many people can they fit in a theater?", "Do you think we will get good seats?", "Do you think maybe they will split us into two theaters?", "Would you say we're in the middle, or back of the line?" - This last question is deemed unanswerable because there was no way in hell to see where the line even started. (My apologies to HE) 

I continue to eat a quesadilla I picked up before we got there out of my purse. HE insists I take it out, but those movie people have me paranoid about the no outside food rule, and I insist that they're going to take it away. HE disagrees. We both stand quietly as I stare at the line ahead of us, trying to resist the urge to ask HE those unanswerable questions again. I am very worried about getting a good seat. The ice cream at the concession counter catches my eye and I am quick to ask HE to save our spot so I can get some. I get the feeling HE is relieved to see me go a couple feet away for a little while. I am happy to get a couple feet closer to that ice cream. 


(more to come in The Dark Knight experience Part 2)

No comments: