Tuesday, June 10, 2008

incredibly, surprisingly

"You're incredible"

GG never compliments me in a serious fashion. At least not to my standards. He often tells me I look "cute", tells me I'm funny ...things like this. We've discussed his emotional detachment issues and up until a few weeks ago everything has been very surface-y. I'm heavily avoiding developing any emotional attachment, let alone romantic feelings for GG. But after five months this is beginning to prove a difficult task. Don't get the wrong impression, however... because I am still trying very hard. But when GG, who has stayed emotionally impartial (at least as far as I know) for the better half of this five months, told me in casual conversation that I was "incredible" I made him repeat the phrase by answering it the first time with a perplexed, "what?". Sure enough, he repeated, as prompted. There was nothing romantic, seductive, persuasive about the way he stated this. He said it as though it was a fact. As one might remark, "The sky is blue." or "My name is Kate." So I tuned out the next few words he uttered to contemplate what this meant. I'm incredible. What does that mean? Well Kate, that means he thinks you're incredible. Duh.
Incredible \In*cred"i*ble\, a. [L. incredibilis: cf. OF. incredible. See In- not, and Credible.]

Not credible; surpassing belief; too extraordinary and improbable to admit of belief; unlikely; marvelous; fabulous.

So GG, who I had previously believed to be not heavily invested in me had just used an awful important word to describe me and in doing so, charmed me. And though I know most readers would believe my next thought to be born of naivete, I think he did it unknowingly. And there I am, talking myself out of the butterflies this comment has created. Struggling NOT to grow attached. When I become emotionally involved and invested I give away a part of myself that somewhat disables my ability to control everything, because now there's another person involved. And at the drop of a hat, GG could say "See ya!" and run away with the emotion I've given him. Now I don't know what to do, so I'll keep on keepin' on, and do my best to keep my heart out of it all... and if successful THAT will be something to be called incredible.

1 comment:

Samson Agonistes said...

Love your dreams. Learn. Grow. Focus. Love comes to us all. Work hard until it comes to you.