Thursday, June 5, 2008

cautiously, loudly

My voice teacher says I don't have the body type nor the dancing skills to do Musical Theatre.

So I can't dispute her first claim really because it's true. I'm not a skinny minny. But I could be.

Her second claim however, is absurd. I can name a billion musicals that don't have dancing in them. The Last Five Years, Sweeney Todd, Songs For A New World, Aida, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Tick, Tick, Boom, Seussical... etc. etc. Sure, they've got choreography.... what show doesn't? I can get choreography. Just because I haven't been dancing since I was six doesn't mean I can't catch onto choreography. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that I don't need to learn movement. I'm just saying that I wouldn't just not be cast in The Last Five Years [a show with no dancing] just because I can't dance. If I can sing my ass off and act my ass off better than those before me, then why not?

So instead she suggest that I become an opera singer. Sure, I've got an appreciation for Classical music but I do NOT want to be an Opera singer. "Kaitlyn, you even have the face shape of an opera singer..." WHAT!? "You have the biggest voice in the studio, bar none..." THEN WHY CAN'T I DO MUSICAL THEATRE!?

If this 'dancing' is such a big deal, then why didn't I have to do a dance audition to get into the U of A, huh???

I continue to sing, sing, sing. I sing classical, I REVEL in Musical Theatre. I'm supposed to be listening to classical music. Stevie [my voice coach] says I'm an amazing mimic, and that if I could just ingrain classical music into my head like I have musical theatre, I'd be set. But I hate listening to Opera. I do it anyway.

I love Musical Theatre. I'd give the world one million times over to have the chance to sing in a musical every day for the rest of my life. WHY, WHY, WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP TELLING ME I CAN'T. CAN'T CAN'T. SHUT UP.

I'm going to do it face shape, body type, dance skills or not.