Friday, October 10, 2008

Give me a sign

In my Western Civ. discussion class there is a deaf girl. She has someone come with her to every class to sign for her and I can't help but watch. It's absolutely fascinating. I always think about how difficult it must be to take notes and watch hand movements at the same time.

Because she doesn't speak (or at least I've never heard her speak) she's a little isolated. But, today the boy that sits next to her wrote a note in his notebook and passed it to her. The look on her face was absolutely priceless. Happy. She was ecstatic. I could tell this, not only by the look on her face, but in the way she wrote him back so quickly, as though he might change his mind. They continued to do this for the duration of the class. Her signing person (sorry, not so technical) and the professor saw this going on and ignored the fact that they were distracted and not paying attention. It was all very cute.

No comments: