Saturday, September 27, 2008

Things I know for sure

I don't many things for sure. I am not entirely sure that I know anything for sure. I am sure, however, that acting is what I want to do with my life. When I grow up I want to continue to be an actress. I know for sure, that I want you to stop telling me that I can't. I could be a million other things, I know. I could be a writer, a nurse... I could be something that you'd surely be proud of. I could be the journalist you want me to be...I could write articles for a magazine, sit in a cubicle and drink the same office coffee every morning before sitting down in my office chair in front of my computer with pictures of my cousins, brothers, friends plastered around the screen. Post-it notes scattered about, pieces of paper, a telephone. I could work in a huge building with 45 floors. It's not what I want. I want to walk through a large metal door into a brightly lit room, sit down on a stool in front of a mirror with pictures of my cousins, brothers, friends tucked into the corners. Lip stick, sponges, fake eyelashes, hairspray scattered about. I want to walk out onto a stage and make a full house laugh, cry and clap every night of the week. I want to share inside jokes with my fellow actors. I want to work hard every night to find something more inside of me, something new to bring to the show. I want to learn from the people I work with, learn about myself, about my craft. I want to be an actress.

Yes, I am a little fish in a big pond and there are thousands, millions, more just like me but I can do this. Wherever I end up I will know that I followed my heart, I believe in myself and my dreams and at the end of the day, that's what is going to matter. That's what's going to matter to me.

No comments: