Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Another moment

In the darkness of fading twilight, it caught my eye through the chain link fence, large and orange with rust. The material enclosing it is transparent and as we accelerate the street lights behind it are blurred with even more precision, mocking shooting stars. Industrial and rusted as it may be, it mimics the night sky between cars. I can't tell if it's moving or not. I change my mind and tilt my head. I stare at the chain links, then at the cars, then up at the sky. There's nothing to hold on to, nothing still enough to use as a guide. 

I likened myself to the cargo train, trying desperately to find out where I'm going, which direction I'm headed, if I'm moving. All the while mimicking the world around me, trying to find my place, my purpose.  

No comments: