Saturday, May 31, 2008

Tock

At the YMCA kids carnival yesterday I heard my littlest brother Wg2 laugh. I couldn't help but notice the hint of baby giggle left in his tiny voice. A reminder that though he's growing up, he's still our little Wg2. I could listen to his laugh all day every day and never tire of it.

I've been sad lately. I sit and think about how I wish things had been different, and I've got to catch myself and realize that no amount of wishing could change the facts: I don't know anyone from Kindergarten, I haven't lived in the same house my entire life, I didn't grow up with my dad...etc. etc. These are the things I wish had been different, mostly.

It's a weird thing when you realize that time is not refundable, relivable, returnable, redoable. Once it passes, it's gone forever. But how is it that you live your life every day carrying out the "to-do" list that is necessary to keep above water and still make time for the moments you wish to have more of? ...To hear the laughter of very happy children, to have more talks with your parents, to see how precious family can be.

Today CC and I watched Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. All we could talk about afterwards was what our ten year reunion will be like. I have a sneaking suspicion that those ten years will fly by. I'm not sure if I know where I want to be ten years from now. I suppose I should probably figure that out.

I've been writing this post for two days now, trying to think of a title. After accepting the "one word, one syllable" title challenge I'm finding this to be exactly that: a challenge.

1 comment:

Samson Agonistes said...

Well done. On all counts.