Monday, May 19, 2008

What to get the graduate:

Acting on impulse I deleted the blog that previously resided here. I had completely forgotten that until now, and I think that today might be a good day to begin anew.

Graduation is 2 days 20 hours and 25 minutes away. At this point I'm not sure what I feel, or what I'm supposed to be feeling. Hatred for all the girls who have been ever so cruel to me this past few weeks, excitement for the fact I'll never see them again. Sadness in that I will miss my high school community, my best friends, sadness in change. It will undoubtedly never be the same again. I'm thinking this is a good thing.

My mom won't stop nagging me about graduation gifts. What does one buy a graduate? Personally, I think it's strange that we are commended for something that we are legally bound to do. "Hey! You did your taxes! What gift would you like to receive this year?" Because to be honest, I don't know if my freshman self would have continued high school if she had been given the option. So back to the question: What to get the graduate? I've been wanting some new sheets, and a new down comforter, but when I suggested these things to my mom she simply rolled her eyes and unpaused the show she was watching. Women.

My dad and step mom got me this gorgeous Sapphire ring for graduation. I don't think I've ever owned a more beautiful piece of jewelry and I could not love it more. It's so ... shiny! Of course, there's always more than shine. It means something because thought went into it. It was something they picked out for me and me alone. A symbol of my accomplishments and how proud they are of me. Perfect, and completely unexpected. The cool thing is, every time I look at it, I'll think of them. I dig that a lot.

So, what to get a grad?

1 comment:

Samson Agonistes said...

This is a new blog, I want to see the old one, you know the one with the juicy stuff! Your voice comes through nicely however.